Here's how it works...
4 = the first number is the time in seconds to lower the weight (eccentric or negative phase)
0 = the second number is the "pause" at the completion of the movement (or the start of the actual lifting)
2 = the third number is the time in seconds to lift in the concentric phases. An "X" means explosive
0 = the fourth number is the pause at the top of the lift
So let's apply this to a movement shall we!
For an Air squat with a tempo of 4020
- You are going to lower into the bottom position (eccentric) for a count of 4 seconds...meaning it's going to take you 4 seconds to lower into the bottom of your squat (don't drop...lower).
- Then at the bottom there is no sitting around (that's the 0).
- From the bottom position you will take 2 seconds to "lift" out of the squat (concentric).
- Then the last number, 0, means no hanging out at the top, move back into your next squat.
No calculators needed...just control of movement! Isn't Fit Math fun!
- 2x10-12 Squat with Band around knee 
- 2x10-12 Unweighted Split Squat [42x0] (remember X = explode)
A1. Back Squat 3 x 5, Work up to a heavy set of 5 and stay at that weight for 3 sets - rest 45sec A2. Ring Dips 4 x 8-10 - rest 2 mins
A1. Back Squat 5RM, 3-4 sets above 75% RM - rest 45sec A2. Ring Dips 4 x 8-10 - rest 2mins
3 sets of 3 min AMRAP
- 7 Burpees
- 7 DB Snatch/side
*rest 1min between sets